Ski and ride New Zealand’s best backcountry skiing terrain. We have the option of basing this epic tent based backcountry skiing trip from Queenstown, Glenorchy, Wanaka, or the Mt Cook region. These areas have New Zealand’s best terrain and snow and are normally only accessed by skiing groups.
The 3 day Backcountry Skiing Camps are based from light weight expedition style tent camps. This gives us the opportunity to set up camp where the snow and weather conditions are best for the duration of your trip.
The Backcountry Skiing Camp is for adventurous skiers looking to learn winter camping and expedition camping skills. With the right equipment, knowledge snow camping is comfortable. On this trip you will learn how to set up a winter camp properly – these skills will include making a tent platform, building snow walls, and creating foot wells at the entrance of the tent. You will also learn tricks to stay warm and dry. These skills can be applied to longer tent based expeditions (imagine snow camping in the high Alaskan Mountains on a skiing or climbing expedition for 2 weeks!). We can provide you with a sleeping bag, foam roll, and light weight air mattress to make your camping experience warm and comfortable.
POSSIBLE BACKCOUNTRY SKIING CAMP LOCATIONS
Our Backcountry Skiing Camps are customised to your skill level and goals for the week. We also have the flexibility to choose the best mountain area for the weather forecast and conditions for the duration of the trip. See the below list of possible areas that we can ski in and contact us for recommendations based on your experience and goals.
- Remarkables Mountain Range, Queenstown – Our closest mountain area sometimes holds incredible powder snow. The Left Branch of the Doolans offers a wide variety of terrain and snow conditions from easy bowls to steep couloir skiing.
- Humboldt Mountains, Glenorchy – Steep skiing and spectacular scenery looking over lake Wakatipu.
- Rees Valley Glenorchy – Lots of great skiing options in the Richardson Mountains from cold powder to excellent spring corn skiing.
- Buchanan Mountains, Wanaka – Known for consistently good snow conditions.
- Ben Ohau Range, Mt Cook area – Mellow bowls to big steep ski descents, and its always great to ski in the Mt Cook area, home of New Zealand’s biggest mountains.